One of the specialized data management solution types encompassed by this Disruptive MDM / PIM List is Reference Data Management (RDM).
Reference data are typically smaller lists of data records that are referenced by master data and transaction data. These lists do not change often. They tend to be externally defined but can also be internally defined within each organization. The below table have some examples of reference data lists used across many organizations and industries:RDM solutions may offer this functionality around the reference data:
- The data store that holds the data
- The user interface for maintaining the lists
- Access control
- Hierarchy management as for example how countries have (or not have) states/provinces that have postal codes
- Managing relationships and mapping between the list values as for example how a SIC industry sector code relates to NACE industry sector codes
- Versioning of the lists
- Language and further context management
- Audit trails
- Approval workflows
- Data integration capabilities
There are applications that is purely focussing on RDM as well as MDM and broader data management solutions / suites that have RDM as a one of several capabilities where the above-mentioned functionality is shared with master data and perhaps other critical application data.
If you use the select your solution service here on the site, RDM is one of the capabilities you can mark as a requirement for your solution.